The Golden Mile
The Golden Mile is an initiative aimed at improving the physical, social, emotional, and mental health and wellbeing of children – regardless of age, ability or personal circumstances. This was launched in summer of 2022 having fundraised for a special track to support this initiative. The track will be a daily activity on days where the children do not have PE lessons. Completion of a mile is 8 times around the track.
The Golden Mile has numerous benefits to children, whether they run, jog or walk.
- Within 4 weeks, children who do the Golden Mile become fit.
- The break from lessons is invigorating and leaves children (and teachers!) more focused and ready to learn. This could be taken at any point in the day so as not to break learning.
- The time spent outside, in all weathers, helps children become better engaged with the outdoors and aware of their surroundings.
- The Golden Mile is non-competitive, fully inclusive, and the children have fun!
- The Golden Mile is also a social occasion, and improves relationships, giving children the opportunity to talk to their peers and teachers in a way they might not in the classroom.
- The Golden Mile builds teamwork and leadership skills, with children helping and encouraging their peers.
- Children bring the benefits home, eating and sleeping better and encouraging their families to get active together.
- The Golden Mile builds self-esteem and confidence, improving children’s perception of exercise for life.
- The Golden Mile is critical to reducing childhood inactivity and obesity.
Children can set their own personal targets and completion times. In addition we have opened the track to our families for an early morning activity before school.